What is the AFRINIC Government Working Group?
The AFRINIC Government Working Group (AfGWG) was set up in January 2010 by AFRINIC, the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) responsible for the management of IP resources in Africa, to provide a platform for open and interactive discussions between AFRINIC and African governments and ICT regulators. Given the rapid growth of the Internet, and its impact on Africa’s socio-economic development, it is critical that African ICT stakeholders work together to formulate, discuss and develop mechanisms and policies for the proper and effective management of Internet resources.
The AfGWG meetings are an opportunity for Governments and Regulators to take stock of current and new activities/initiatives (for example IPv6 deployment, capacity and training programmes) as well as outcomes of important meetings and negotiations at both regional and international levels. The meetings also enable the sharing of regional/international best practices and help, inter alia, in the establishment of appropriate ICT programmes to address African needs in terms of IP resources.
Objectives of the Working Group
- To strengthen the collaboration between AFRINIC and African Governments and Regulators to promote sustainable and secure Internet development in Africa
- To address collaboratively the general Internet governance challenges faced within the region, particularly those related to Internet number resources.
AfGWG Focal Points
Some 30 countries have designated AfGWG focal points and it is hoped that by end of 2012 all the countries will have at least one focal point represented at the working group level. The network of focal points will serve as the main communication channel for the exchange of views and best practices.
The first meeting launched the AfGWG in 2010 in Ebene, Mauritius, subsequently, seven more meetings have been held back to back with AFRINIC public policy meetings:
- Kigali, Rwanda – June 2010
- Johannesburg, South Africa – November 2010
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – June 2011
- Yaoundé, Cameroon – November 2011
- Serekunda, The Gambia – May 2012
- Lusaka, Zambia - June 2013
- Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti - June 2014
The next meeting of the AfGWG is scheduled for November 2014 during AFRINIC-21 Meeting in Ebene Mauritius.